Google Blogger allows you to create a blog on blogspot.com. It is easy to make a free Blogger website. In this article, you will learn how to create a blog for free.
Advantages Of Starting A Blog On Google Blogger
- Starting a blog with Google Blogspot is very easy, and you don’t need any professional skills to operate your blog.
- Google owns the platform, so you have that trust and credibility.
- Blogger is free for all, and they never ask for a penny.
- You can set up your custom domain there instated of free .blogspot.com subdomain.
- You can Configure a free SSL Certificate for your blog (by simply turning on HTTPS). Now blogger offers HTTPS version of both types of sites, so no matter if you’re using their .blogspot sub-domain or your custom domain.
- They provide free simple and responsive templates and also allow you to upload your own theme. In the web lots of free and premium blogger template available, so you can install them and customize as you want.
- Some cool features like template editor, template designer, and layout editor, are very advantageous. With the help of the template editor, you edit the code of your theme and can customize it as you like. Template Designer used to design the essential elements of your blog and to add custom CSS to your blog. Layout editor helps to place various widgets at different locations on your blog by just dragging and dropping.
- Blog post publishing and management system are very easy to use.
- The communication system is good also. You can use its default comment system or can set up Facebook, Disqus, Google Plus Comments easily.
- Blogger post editor provides all essential tools to write an excellent blog post. It allows you to edit or modify your article, search description, labels, location, custom permalink, custom robots tags, image alt tag, blog post scheduling, errors, and redirections, etc.
- You can monetize your site with Google AdSense and other programs like affiliate marketing easily unlike other platforms.
- Like other CMS (Content management system), Google blogger also lets you take the backup of your data. So, if something wrong happens with your site, then you can restore it with your backup.
So, I hope now you can understand, why starting a blog on Blogger.com is beneficial for you.
OK, now let’s see how you can start your blog with blogger using our step-by-step guide below.
How to Sign Up for Google Account?
You can start blogging with BlogSpot, but first, you need to create a Google account.
1. Go to google.com in your web browser.
2. Click on the Sign-in button to create an account.
3. You are on the login page. If you have an account, login with your email and password, else proceed to create an account. You can create a Google account for yourself or manage your business. Select an option that is right in case of you.
3. Fill out all the necessary details and click on the Next button.
4. Once the account is created, you will see a welcome message.
How to Create A Blog on Blogspot?
Don’t know how to set up a blog on Blogspot? Don’t worry, hereunder is all you want to know. Please read our guide carefully and do a practice with our screenshots.
1. To create a BlogSpot blog, a BlogSpot login is required. Visit blogger.com for this.
2. Click on the CREATE YOUR BLOG button and login with your Google account credentials.
3. After Blogspot sign in. You are now on the Blogger dashboard. On the top lift side, the Create blog option is given to you.
5. As you click on the Create blog option, you get a title box to choose a name for your blog. Enter the name of your new blog and click on the Next button.
6. The next option is given to choose a URL for your blog. Enter the blog URL in the address box. It will be checked for availability, and if it is available, then the SAVE button will be highlighted.
7. Congrats, you have successfully created a blogspot blog.
How to Change A Theme on Blogspot?
1. Click on the Theme menu item on the left side menu list. You see, the default theme is Contempo Light. You may change the Blogger theme at any time.
2. Just scroll down to choose the theme of your choice from the many available options. There are so many Blogspot themes, but we highly recommend using Contempo, Soho, Emporio, Notable, or Essential only. These themes are very fast. You can use Google’s PageSpeed Insight to check the loading speed and other issues. You get an option to preview the theme before applying.
You should take a backup of the existing blog theme before applying a new theme.
3. You need to click on the Apply button to use the selected theme.
You can also buy premium themes for Blogspot blog for beautiful design and customizations. You should also know the basics of Blogger’s HTML editor.
Is Your Blog Visible to Search Engines?
1. Click on the Settings menu item on the left sidebar.
2. Scroll your page to the Privacy section.
3. Double check the toggle button should be green.
How to Upload A Logo on Blogspot Blog?
1. Click on the Layout menu item on the left side.
2. In the Header section, click on the edit pencil.
3. You can either choose a file from your computer or paste an image URL to upload a logo on your blog. You also have three options for logo placement; select the right for you.
- Behind title and description
- Behind title and description
- Have a description placed after the image
You can also tick the Shrink to fit option if the logo is bigger than the header.
4. Click on the Save button to make changes.
Similar to a logo, a favicon also helps your blog to get identified among other blogs. You can also add a favicon on Blogspot blogs.
How to Add A Gadget on Blogspot?
1. Click on the Layout menu item on the left menu list.
2. Under the sidebar top or bottom, click on Add a Gadget.
3. In the pop-up window, scroll down to see available gadgets. Click on the name of Gadget or + icon to add a new gadget to your blog.
4. Update your gadget with the required information.
5. Click on the Save button, the gadget will be added to the sidebar.
How to Publish A Blog Post on Blogspot?
Publishing a blog post consists of different tasks. Hereunder we are discussing a few of them.
Compose a new post
Click the New Post button to create a new post.
The blog post editor and toolbar
A post editor will open. Post editor has HTML view and Compose view. Click on the pencil icon on the composer toolbar to get these options. I recommend the compose view for beginners.
It has different sets of options-
- Toggle between HTML view and Compose view
- Undo and Redo
- Font type, font size, headings, and paragraph
- Bold, italics, underline, strikethrough, text color, and text background-color
- Insert or edit links, insert an image, insert video, and insert special characters
- Text alignment, increase indent and decrease indent
- Bulleted list, numbered list, quoted text, and insert jump break
- Left to right layout, right to left layout, and input tools
- Clear formatting
Add content to a blog post
Enter your blog post title, article, and add images just like you do with a word processing tool.
Insert an image to a blog post
1. Place the cursor at the spot where you want the image in a blog post.
2. Click on the image icon in the toolbar.
3. You get four options to add an image to your blog post.
- Upload from computer
- By URL
If you are uploading images from your computer, click on the Choose files and select the required image file.
4. Click on the uploaded image to enter the Select button.
The required image will be added to your blog post.
Insert a link to a blog post
1. First, copy an internal or external URL to add.
2. Select a text to an internal or external URL to it.
3. Click on the link icon given on the composer toolbar.
4. An option to paste or search for a link will appear. Paste the copied URL in the given box.
5. You get two options advance options.
- Open this link in a new window
- Add ‘rel=nofollow’ attribute
You may use the first one without hesitation, but don’t use it if you don’t know anything about a nofollow tag.
6. Click on the Apply button. A link has been added to your blog post.
You can edit this added link, buy click on the same text highlighted in blue color.
Embed YouTube videos to a blog post
1. Click on the Insert video icon on the given composer toolbar.
2. Drop-down will show the YouTube option. Click on it.
3. You get two options to add a video – Uploads and Search. Select the Search tab.
4. A search box to search YouTube videos. Search a video and hit the magnifying glass button
5. Select a video from the populated list.
6. Click on the Select button. This video will be added to your video.
Add labels to a blog post
You can add labels to your blog post. The label is another term for category or tag for your post. These labels show on the blog post. When a reader clicks on a label, all posts with that label will be on a page. Blogger has a label gadget that you can add to your blog sidebar. It will help your readers to read all posts that are published under the same label.
1. You can add Labels from the Post settings given on the right sidebar.
2. Click on the Labels option. A box will appear to add labels.
3. Enter labels related to the post.
Great, you have done it perfectly.
Edit permalink of a blog post
1. You can tweak your blog post permalink. This option is given under the Post settings.
2. Click on the Permalink option. It shows two options- automatic permalink and custom permalink.
3. You can use the custom permalink option to keep your blog post URL short and user-friendly.
Preview and publish a blog post
You can see the preview of your blog post before publishing it. You can do so by clicking on the Preview button in the top right corner.
If the post preview looks perfect, then you can click on the Publish button.
How to Publish A Page on Blogspot?
Blogspot gives you options to add pages to your blog. You can publish a page on Blogspot. You can create different types of pages like about me, contact us, privacy, disclaimer, etc.
1. Click on the Pages menu item on the left side menu list.
2. Then click on the New Page.
3. Enter the page title.
4. Add content for the page.
5. You may disable reader comments on the pages.
6. Preview and publish your page.
Follow below video tutorial to learn more